Empanadas de Camote (Sweet Potato Turnovers)
- 1 ¾ cups shortening (360gr)
- 4 cups flour (500gr)
- ¼ cup sugar (200gr)
- 1 tsp. salt (4gr)
- 1 egg
- ½ cup water (120ml)
- 1 tbsp. vinegar (15ml)
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes (1kg)
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 1/2-1 cup sugar, to taste (100-200gr)
- For the dough: Knead the shortening into the flour, sugar and salt with your hands. Add in egg, water, and vinegar, mixing well. Form dough into a ball, wrap in plastic, and chill for one hour.
- Meanwhile, wash sweet potatoes well, and cut into large chunks. Boil sweet potatoes with the cinnamon until the potatoes are easily pierced with a fork. Drain water from pot. Remove cinnamon sticks.
- After the sweet potatoes have cooked, peel, then puree with an electric hand mixer. Add in sugar, as desired.
- Heat your oven to 350°F (176°C). Form the dough into 30 balls. Using a tortilla press or a rolling pin, flatten the dough into circles.
- Fill with a spoonful of mashed sweet potatoes. Do not overfill. Fold dough over the filling to form a half circle. Pinch edges together. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- When all empanadas are formed, crimp edges where empanadas is sealed with a fork. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until browned.