They should sell rotisserie chicken wearing little hero capes, or maybe dedicate a statue to them in a public park. Grocery store rotisserie chicken has saved my life more times than I can count. Often at the end of the day, I just can’t think of what to make for dinner. Most of the time I don’t even feel like cooking, which says a lot, as I am obsessed with cooking.
But the true genius of a store bought ready-to-eat chicken is the infinite array of dishes you can make. For instance, how about Chicken Tacos? You have your chicken, you have your tortillas, all very nice, but what can we make that will freshen up these two ready-made dinner components? A quick Avocado Sour Cream can be whipped up in no time, bringing that fresh twist you were looking for. My husband makes this sauce all the time… usually it’s a double batch, ‘cuz we love it and eat it on everything from sandwiches to tortilla chips.
Of course, leftover grilled chicken from the weekend BBQ works great to make a quick Chicken Taco, or you can grill a couple of boneless, skinless chicken breasts in your countertop grill as well. But when the fridge is empty, and you need something quick, these Chicken Tacos are easier and way more satisfying than fast food.
I also like Avocado Sour Cream as it reduces the mess of regular taco toppings. Taco Tuesday nights seem to be a fiesta of small dishes on the table, until there’s no room for the main platter of tacos. By combining the sour cream with the avocado and cilantro, you’ve turned 3 little dishes into one. Neat!
Since you only need 2 cups of shredded chicken for this recipe, you will have leftovers if you decide to buy that rotisserie chicken. But that just means that little hero will save the day again later in your busy week!Print
Quick Chicken Tacos with Avocado Sour Cream
- Yield: 4
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 cup Mexican sour cream (substitute regular sour cream) (240ml)
- 2 tbsp. cilantro (10gr)
- 1 dozen corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded chicken (225gr)
- 1/2 cup sliced onions (75gr)
- Chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup queso fresco, crumbled (75gr) (or your favorite shredded cheese)
- To make the Avocado Sour Cream, combine the first 3 ingredients in a blender, and pulse until pureed and smooth.
- To make the tacos, heat the tortillas, and fill with about 1/4 cup (28gr) of shredded chicken. Top with the Avocado Sour Cream, sliced onions, chopped cilantro and queso freso as desired.