Pork Carnitas (Pork Pieces prepared Cauldron Style)
- 3 lbs pork (boneless ribs work well) cut into 2″ cubes (1.4kg)
- 1 cup water (240ml)
- ¼ cup lard (56gr)
- 1 unpeeled orange, cut in half
- 1 cup whole milk (240ml)
- Place pork meat in a 6 qt (6lt) dutch oven, and add water.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and cook for 20-25 minutes, until all the pork is browned and cooked through.
- Uncover the pork and continue to simmer until the water has evaporated. Use a spatula to turn the pieces of pork so they do not stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Add the lard and orange halves, and continue to cook for about 20 minutes.
- Occasionally turn the pork pieces with a spatula, so that they brown evenly.
- Add the milk to the pot, and continue to cook the pork for another 20 minutes, until they are golden.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the carnitas from the cooking pot, and drain on paper towels. Serve warm with corn tortillas and salsa.