Savory Kale and Potato Empanadas
- 2 tbsp. olive oil (30ml)
- 1/2 cup or 4 oz finely chopped onions (125gr)
- 4 oz chopped fingerling or new potatoes (125gr)
- 8 oz finely chopped kale (250gr)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup water (120ml)
- 2 pk empanada discs (12 discs per pkg)
- Heat the olive oil over medium high heat in a heavy, 10” (25cm) lidded sauté pan.
- Add the onions and potatoes, and cook until well browned, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the kale, garlic, salt and pepper, and the water. Cover the kale, and allow to simmer over medium heat for about 20 minutes, until the kale is tender.
- Remove from heat, and drain the kale mixture in a colander, so that all the liquid drains away. Allow to cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (204°C)
- Fill each of the discs with 1 generous tablespoon of kale filling. Pinch the edges together to seal.
- Place the formed empanada on a greased cookie sheet. Form all the empanadas in the same fashion.
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool on wire racks.