How to Make Homemade Flour Tortillas
- 2lbs. flour (about 7 cups) (1kg)
- 2 tsp. baking powder (8gr)
- 1 tbsp. salt (4gr)
- 1 1/3 vegetable shortening (250gr)
- 2 cups hot water (480ml)
- In a large bowl, add the flour, baking powder, salt. and shortening. Knead well with your hands. Add in the water a little at a time until you have a smooth dough.
- Knead the dough for about 90 seconds, until elastic.
- Form the dough into 40 small patties. Return the patties to the mixing bowl, and allow to rest for 20 minutes. Heat up your griddle.
- With a rolling pin, roll out the patties into tortillas, as thin and round as possible (this takes a lot of practice!).
- Place tortilla on the hot griddle. Flip tortilla to cook on the other side after 45 seconds. Flip again after 45 seconds. Flip one more time. The tortilla should puff up.
- Take tortilla off the griddle after 20 seconds and place in a clean towel to keep warm. Continue with the remaining dough.