Baked Cauliflower with Cheese and Breadcrumbs
- Yield: 6-8 Servings
- 1 1/2 cups seasoned breadcrumbs (180gr)
- 2 cups milk (500ml)
- 2 tbsp. all purpose flour (16gr)
- 4 cups shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese (452gr)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 large cauliflower, washed and chopped
- Heat a 9″ (22cm) skillet, over medium heat, and add 6 tbsp. (84gr) of butter, and half of the chopped onion. Saute until the onions are slightly brown. Add the breadcrumbs, and toast over medium heat until all of the butter is absorbed. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a 2 qt (2 lt) saucepan, heat the remaining butter and onions. Saute the onions for about a minute. Add the flour, and stir well so that all of the butter is absorbed. Whisk in the milk, and continue stirring over medium heat until the mixture is thickened. Whisk in the shredded cheese, and season with salt and pepper. Once the sauce is smooth and thick, remove from the heat.
- Heat your oven to 350°F (176°C). Add the chopped cauliflower to the saucepan of cheese sauce, coating the cauliflower well. Spoon the cauliflower into a 3.5qt baking dish, pouring any remaining sauce onto the top. Cover with foil, and bake for 30-40 minutes, until the cauliflower is tender. Remove the baking dish from the oven, and switch the oven setting to “broiler.”
- Remove the foil from the cauliflower, and top with the breadcrumbs. Place the dish under the heated broiler, and let the breadcrumbs crisp for 3-5 minutes, until they reach a desired level of golden brown. Serve immediately.